Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Nutcracker Dresses

This year my mom and I took the girls to see the Nutcracker for the first time. Anais asked for a floor-length gown, and upon hearing this, Ada agreed. Hoooo-boy. So, thus began my journey. I bought vast amounts of silver crepe-back satin and we began.

For Anais's dress, I used a pattern I have always wanted to do, but the sheer number of tiny pieces involved has always been intimidating. It's the Manhattan Special Occasion Dress from the book Sewing Clothes Kids Love. I love the Studio Tantrum patterns, so I knew I've love this one too. I added about a foot to the bottom to make it floor length.


It was slow going in the sewing, and putting together the bodice's shell and lining was confusing at times.  There were times it would have been helpful to see photos or have a few tips (like when top-stitching the back to catch the ribbons, don't top stitch all the way to the end - leave the seam allowance free).

The slowest part about sewing this was all the curved seams. I learned a lot about how to work with the inner curves and outer curves on all the seams so they wouldn't buckle and ripple - which is probably not new to most sewers... but I'm still a novice, here. I did flub one seam on the front though - and I am not sure what I did. But, despite everything it rippled a bit. But, as my daughter never stands still, at least it wasn't too noticeable. ha!

Overall, I was happy with it. The collar was my favorite part - and the back too.


Ada's dress was simpler, and I actually used a costume pattern - Simplicity 5520. The only really bad part was I didn't get very good photos. Also, I didn't read the pattern fully to the end so when it came time for the arm bands (lesson learned), it said to make the bands and then Velcro them. So... no... wasn't going to use Velcro - and although I could have left her sleeves full and not cinched, she really wanted them to be. (If I would have read the pattern to the end, I would have realized this and attached them before sewing up the seams of the sleeve.) Oh well - I used some ribbon to cinch it, and it worked out well enough. 




Lastly, the one thing I'd change about this pattern is that is was very large in the top. Though I was able to adjust the bodice a bit with the lacing, it wasn't designed to do that. So, if I do pull out this pattern for the Renaissance Festival next year, I'll definitely figure out how to adjust the bodice to be snugger (by a good couple inches). I also top stitched all the seams, which wasn't called for in the pattern, but definitely made the seams neater (except the back seam rippled a little. Not sure why that happened - no other seam did that like the back. Oh well. .)



So, the ballet was a ton of fun. A little overdressed for a matinee? Perhaps... but they were thrilled to be princesses for the day, and after all - that's half the experience!

1 comment:

  1. both dresses are gorgeous! your girls are gonna be trendsetters when they grow up. i can't wait to do the nutcracker with my girls.

    ReplyDelete