Sunday, September 18, 2011

Another ModKid Pattern

Well, since we're on the topic of ModKid, here is another one I love. I haven't sewn this one for a while, but it's on my list again for the fall. The long sleeve version is my favorite since the sleeve has a nice flare. It's the ModKid Kyoko Pattern ... and the fabric is even by Patty Young (though that wasn't intentional).


Like the Frida dress, this went together very easily. I used pre-made bias tape, and didn't do all the strips on the bottom - as I rather liked just the one fabric pattern. One lesson learned was on the obi sash. I used a less expensive satin ribbon that I had on hand (gotten from a clearance bin) for the ties. After a few washings, the ribbon broke and shredded. It isn't hard to make the obi again, but I always hate having to repair something like that.


The nice thing is that this was one of the first things I made, and she's really worn this since. The cut of the top is very roomy since you cinch it together with the sash. So, really it is just the length. So, it started out as a dress, and now it is a tunic. The sleeves are a little short, but in the fall, it is perfect. Definitely recommend the pattern, and I've got the fabric picked out for the next version of this one (after I do her Halloween costume, of course! Need to get started on that).

2 comments:

  1. she's adorable! and look at those curls. i hate going back and fixing stuff too. do you find that you have problems with the sash staying in place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do! The sash does kind of fall down a lot. It does okay when I cinch it pretty tight to start and do a double knot/bow. But, after a couple hours, it does need re-adjusting.

    (Her hair isn't usually this curly. Sometimes she asks for curly hair, so we have little soft curlers she can sleep in. Her hair is so fine, it holds the curl pretty well)

    ReplyDelete